Friday, 26 October 2012

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, by Rachel Joyce


Title: The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry
Author: Rachel Joyce
Format: Hardback
Length: 288 pages
Genre: Contemporary
Add this: Goodreads
Buy this: Hardback |Ebook

So it has taken me literally three weeks to write this review. Not for lack of trying!! I have had the dreaded writer's block (or is it reader's block?). Anyhoo, I just haven't been able to form one kinda clear opinion on this book, and its affected all of my other blogging efforts!! So, here are my incoherent views of this book.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry is all about Harold Fry, a retired man who lives in Kingsbridge, Devon, and how he decides to personally deliver a letter to his friend dying from cancer rather than post it to her. The book follows Harold as he travels across the country and meets new people, and follows how it changes him, causing him to reflect on the path his life has taken.

Oh Harold, I thought you would be a boring character, but reading all about you and your walk was lovely. A total emotional roller-coaster read!! Unless you want to be in sob fest central, DO NOT read this book after any kind of a stressful day. Actually, maybe roller-coaster is a bit dramatic. There is a whole wide range of emotions that are evoked when reading this book, and emotionally I found myself flip flopping, but I was never like "OMG SO DRAMATIC". It was more quietly thought provoking. This book definitely stays with you, and makes you think poignant thoughts. 

I really like the story of the people that Harold meets. Like the man who likes trainers. I was like "WTF!!". There are moments where the people that Harold meets totally catch you off guard, and some where the people, and their behaviour are totally predictable. I do think its a sad reflection of my own mindset that I found the people that used Harold for their own means to be the predictable characters, and I found that the section of the book where these people were there to be my least favourite part. 


Its not the the normal kind of book that I read, (it is decidedly poignant, reflective, subtle, lacking in throbbing cocks), but I really enjoyed this book, much more so than I expected to. 8.5.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited to read this book. I love books that really touch you and this one sounds amazing. I love emotional books, they are my to go to books. Great review. Glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete

Free ice cream and beer for all who comment! Ok, that's a promise I can't keep. Maybe a hug if we ever meet in the real world... or just leave your twitter handle and I'll send you a virtual one? Maybe.
Anyway, I'm grateful that you took the time to comment. You are indeed mighty witty.