Friday, 25 January 2013

666 Park Avenue, by Gabriella Pierce

Title: 666 Park Avenue
Author: Gabriella Pierce
Format: Paperback
Length: 294 pages
Genre: Contemporary Paranormal Chick-Lit Romance of Everythingness
Source: Sent by Publisher
Add this: Goodreads
Buy this: Paperback |Ebook

So about a week ago there I come home to find a note saying that I had a package waiting at the post office for me as the package had been too large to post. Like all girls, I love a large package (of books! Take your mind out of the gutter... *sniggers*), and so I trekked off to the post office in the snow to collect said large package, which turned out to contain this...

I've said in the genre bit above that this is a "Contemporary Paranormal Chick-Lit Romance of Everythingness". I stick by that- the book could easily fit into each category, and there is no clear primary genre it belongs to. This could have failed miserably, but I think in this case it works. By having parts that are clearly romance orientated, and some that are chick-lit-esque, it makes Jane's experience of New York feel much more grounded, despite being about to marry into a family of socialites from New York's High Society, as well as the witch storyline (both quite surreal elements). 

So we meet Jane shopping for a dress in Paris, before her date with Malcolm Doran, the super rich American hunk who has swept her off her feet in a whirlwind romance. One proposal later, and an unexpected death in the family, along with the bomb drop of Jane finding out that she is a witch and therefore probably in danger, and she has moved to New York with Malcolm. Enter borderline-psychopathic mother-in-law from hell, and its all socialite drama, family secrets and witchcraft type stuff. 

Now Jane is nice, but a bit thick, and very trusting. All of these coincidences happen to her and around her, combined with a warning from her Grandma, and yet she is quite happily oblivious to the glaringly obvious truth throughout the first half of the book. Maybe they were only glaringly obvious to me because I had read the book blurb? Anyway, she uses blind faith far too much. I'm just glad that she begins to stand on her own two feet by the end of the book. The love interests in the book didn't do much for me; Malcolm was too sickeningly "perfect" and I didn't trust him as far as I could throw him, whereas Jane's connection to Harris seemed to be all about the magic- I would have liked to see more between them than just a mystical spark. Lynne is the perfect mother-in-law from hell- so much so that I actually took pleasure in disliking her. 

Overall, I liked this book much more than I had expected too. After a slow start, it develops into a pretty good book, which has left me eager to read the two sequels. 6.5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. OOO, have you seen the TV show? It's so creepy and scary! O_O
    Well... not really, lol. But I never knew the show was a book. Until now. :p

    ~Sophia @ Bookwyrming Thoughts

    ReplyDelete

Free ice cream and beer for all who comment! Ok, that's a promise I can't keep. Maybe a hug if we ever meet in the real world... or just leave your twitter handle and I'll send you a virtual one? Maybe.
Anyway, I'm grateful that you took the time to comment. You are indeed mighty witty.