Friday, 14 June 2013

Review: Who the hell is Pansy O'Hara?, By Jenny Bond and Chris Sheedy


Another book to contribute towards my learning stuff about stuff, and a quick review of it.

Who the hell is Pansy O'Hara? is a book about books. I don't really know how to describe it better than that really. This book tells the tales behind the stories, about the struggles many famous authors went through to write and publish their most famous works.

Covering a variety of books, from Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice to Peter Pan and The Cat in The Hat, this book is filled with short biographies, centred around each author's great works. It is informative, interesting, sometimes a tad tragic, and easily digestible. Each chapter covers one author, making it a book that is easy to pick up for a chapter at a time, and easy to read out of order- which I did. Quite the chaos causer, I am indeed.

I really enjoyed reading this. The layout made it easy to pick and choose what chapters I read and in what order, which fitted how I felt when I read it- I don't think I read more than two chapters at a time, as I wasn't really in a settled reading mood. The writing was clear, and suited the kind of biographical style that I like, where everything that is mentioned seems to be relevant to the purpose of the biography. Well worth a read, especially if you like learning obscure facts about books to use as dinner conversation fodder...
9.0 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Free ice cream and beer for all who comment! Ok, that's a promise I can't keep. Maybe a hug if we ever meet in the real world... or just leave your twitter handle and I'll send you a virtual one? Maybe.
Anyway, I'm grateful that you took the time to comment. You are indeed mighty witty.